FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) Why do I need the DalCard?
Your DalCard is your official University ID. You need to present your DalCard to:
- write an officially scheduled examination
- to use the library facilities
- for issuance of bursary or scholarship cheques
- to obtain a Dalhousie parking pass
- to use your Metro Transit UPass
DalCard is used like a debit card on and off campus, gives access to the dining hall (with the purchase of a meal plan), and also provides access to many secure areas of campus.
2) How do I obtain a card?
Once youíve registered for your classes, you can get your DalCard at the DalCard Office which is located on the Studley Campus at 1443 Seymour St.
Sexton campus students may obtain their DalCard at the Sexton campus Student Services Office, B Building, 1360 Barrington St.
During the first week of September, a temporary location will be set up in the SUB (Student Union Building) across from the Bookstore.
Before obtaining your card, you must present one piece of government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license, passport or national identity card).
3) Iím coming to Dal for the first time in September; can I get my card at anytime during the summer?
Students entering Dalhousie for the first time in September can come into the DalCard office the last week of August. Students must be registered for classes to obtain a card. You must present one piece of government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license or passport).
4) Iím a returning student, when can I update my DalCard?
Students returning to Dalhousie who have registered for classes can come into the DalCard office anytime after August 20 to receive an update sticker and UPass (for qualifying students).
5) Iím a Dalhousie staff/faculty, when can I get my DalCard?
A staff/Faculty DalCard can be issued once employment documentation has been processed through Human Resources. You must present one piece of government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license or passport).
Staff/Faculty renewing a DalCard can do so anytime within a month of the expiry date. Please call the DalCard office at (902) 494-2334 to ensure the necessary paperwork has been received in order to process your card.
6) Is there a charge for the DalCard?
Your DalCard is issued at no charge. However, if it is lost, stolen or damaged due to misuse there will be a $15 replacement fee. There is an additional $15 charge to replace a UPass sticker.
7) Where can I use my DalCard?
Your DalCard can be used on and off campus. You can use it on campus to make purchases at the various food service outlets, dining halls, the University Bookstore, PCPC and off campus at our many DalCard Community Partners.
- Metro Transit: Full-time students are issued a UPass on their DalCard. This is your pass to use Metro Transit from September 1 through April 30.
- Dalplex: All students and any staff members or general public (who have paid a fee) to Dalplex, can use their card to access those facilities.
- Library Access: All students and staff members can use their card to access library facilities. Most library databases are licensed to be only accessible to Dalhousie University students and staff members.
- Discounts: Many businesses give discounts to University students who present valid student ID.
8) What do I do if my card does not work?
Bring your card to the University DalCard Office, 1443 Seymour St., DalCard staff will resolve the issue.
Regular hours of operation:
- Monday-Wednesday and Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Thursdays 8:30 a.m.- 7:00 p.m.
9) Where can I make a deposit on my DalCard?
You can deposit money onto your DalCard at any of the following locations:
- DalCard Office, 1443 Seymour St.
- Student Accounts in the A&A Building
- LSC Tim Horton's
- Killam Second Cup and Bistro
- Tim Horton's in the Tupper Building
- School of Business Food Outlet
- Student Union Food Outlet (excluding Tim Horton's)
- Studley and Carleton Bookstores
- Weldon Library, Computer Lab and Food Outlet
- Circulation Desks at the Libraries
- Residence Front Desks
- Sexton Student Services
- Dentistry Food Outlet
You may also deposit funds online using Visa or MasterCard through the DalCard website.
10) How do I know how much money I have on my card?
Your balance can be displayed at all cash terminals operated by Dal Food Services, and through DalCard Online.
11) What happens to money remaining on my DalCard at the end of the academic year?
Any funds remaining on your DalCard will stay on your card for you to use as long as you are a student. If you finish classes in April and are returning in September, any unused funds will still be available.
If you are not returning to Dalhousie or wish to be refunded the balance, you can make the request by completing the online Request for Refund form. We are unable to accept requests in person. Please allow time for processing. A $25 administration fee applies to all refund requests. Refund requests are only processed in December and April and are limited to one time per academic year.
12) Iíve lost my DalCard!
Inform Security at (902) 494-6400 or the DalCard Office at (902) 494-2334. You can also report your DalCard lost or stolen online. Deactivating your card will prevent anyone from attempting to use it and any money that you may have on your account. A new card may be obtained at the DalCard Office at 1443 Seymour St. for a fee of $15.
13) Can I punch a hole in my Card?
Punching a hole will damage your DalCard and may result in your card malfunctioning. It will cost you the $15 replacement fee to obtain a new DalCard. You may purchase holders designed to work with your card at either the Bookstore or at the DalCard office.
14) Is my DalCard also my bus pass?
Yes. Your UPass sticker is located on your DalCard so you need the card to access Metro Transit.
15) Whatís the difference between flex dollars and bookstore on my DalCard?
Flex dollars can be spent anywhere that DalCard is accepted. The bookstore balance can only be used at the Dalhousie Bookstore located in the Student Union Building.
16) What are food bucks?
Food bucks are a part of certain meal plans. They are there in case you cannot make it to a meal hall and are able to be used at Dal-operated food outlets on campus as well as select off-campus vendors.
17) Can I use my DalCard like a credit card and put money on it later?
No, you must have funds on your DalCard to draw from. However, in order to ensure that you are not turned away due to technical difficulties your transaction might be processed offline and that might cause your card to go into negative balance.
18) What do I have to do if my card has a negative balance?
The DalCard staff will notify you if your account is in a negative balance. The agreement that is signed when a DalCard is issued states:
ďIf the cardholder is in an overdraft position, the cardholder is responsible to Dalhousie for that balance.Ē
If your account goes into the negative you can ONLY make deposits onto your account at the following locations
Using a credit card:
Or in person at:
- The DalCard Office, 1443 Seymour St.
- Sexton Campus Student Services Office, 1360 Barrington St.
- Howe Hall, 6230 Coburg Rd. front desk
- Shirreff Hall, 6385 South St. front desk
- Risley Hall, 1233 LeMarchant St. front desks
The DalCard Office checks for negative balances on a regular basis and will attempt to advise you of the situation via email, using your Dalhousie email account.
However, you are responsible to be aware of your account balance, and are responsible for any spending into the negative. If you do not repay the amount due, the DalCard Office may transfer the outstanding balance to your University Student Account for collection.
19) Iíve got bonus money on my DalCard! Where can I use it?
The bonus money that you receive as a residence student and by using your DalCard at locations that offer 5% back can be used at all Aramark-managed locations, as well as at designated DalCard Community Partner locations.
20) How does the 5% back program work?
When you make a purchase at a participating on or off campus vendor using flex dollars, you will receive 5% of your purchase price back the following week.
Any 5% money you earn will be used before your flex dollars or food bucks on your next purchase at a participating vendor.
The bookstores also participate in the 5% program and you earn money off purchases made at the bookstore using flex or bookstore dollars. The 5% generated from bookstore transactions can only be applied to future bookstore purchases.